In collaboration or partnership with the local communities, the DLSMHSI community is able to fulfill its vision-mission through:
- Health care services
- Community-outreach and extension services
- Oversees and/or facilitates the planning and implementation of the Community Health Development Program (CHDP) in the partner communities.
- Facilitates the integration of the community-based programs of the Colleges of Medicine, Rehabilitation Sciences, and Nursing. In line with this, the Center shall guide the faculty and students as they plan and conduct community activities.
- Provides the Colleges involved in the CHDP with regular quarterly report related to the progress of the CHDP.
- Gathers, keeps and updates profiles of communities that may be benefit from the community-health related projects and programs of the different Colleges of the DLSHSI.
- Gathers, keeps and updates profiles of local government units, local government agencies, and non-government organizations/agencies that may be considered potential partners for community-health related projects and programs of the different Colleges of the DLSHSI.
- Assists Colleges that may need support for the planning and implementation of community service learning activities, taking into consideration the requirements of their respective accrediting bodies.
- Equips faculty members and students with the basic knowledge and skills in community organizing, community health development, social mobilization, and the like, as deemed necessary by the respective Colleges.
- Regularly monitors and evaluates the CHDP in the partner communities, the community-oriented projects, and other community-extension services of the Academics Community. The Center shall keep documentations of community projects that may be necessary for future reference.
- Provides the Colleges with recommendations or feedbacks that will aid in the sustainability of the community-related projects and programs of the faculty and students.
- Determines strategies in keeping and maintaining the mutually beneficial collaboration between the Institution and the partner communities in achieving the former’s mission and vision.
- Contributes to the sustainability of projects and programs that were established with the partner communities.
- Collates relevant data for continuous learning and development in designing and implementing projects as well for research purposes.
Community Health Development Program (CHDP)
It is a health care plan consisting of a series of actions that aims to contribute to the efficient delivery of the Primary Health Care (PHC) in depressed and underserved communities, through a partnership between the members of the local community and the DLSMHSI community, where the concepts and principles of Community Organizing and Participatory Action Research (CO-PAR) are applied and the resources existing or inherent in the partner community are utilized to be able to address the identified health care needs of its people.
Integration of the Student Immersion Programs
Student Immersion Program of the Colleges of Medicine, Rehabilitation Sciences, and Nursing aims to enhance the learning skills and attitude of their students through an in-depth social engagement and integration to an actual setting wherein social, economic and political determinants play significant roles in the health of a person, his/her family and community. The Program also seeks to increase among these students an awareness of the Philippine health care delivery system and to increase their understanding of their future roles as health care providers/professionals in the future. The collaboration of these Colleges provides promotive, preventive, curative, and rehabilitative health care services in the partner communities.
National Service Training Program (NSTP)
The Institution has always valued the youth, recognizing their potential as nation-builders, capable of contributing to the transformation of the nation. To help them find their roles and their mission for our country, the Institution incorporates the concepts and principles of the NSTP of the Republic of the Philippines; a commitment to participate in molding the Filipino youth of today, who are the hope of the nation.