PRIVACY NOTICE FOR STUDENTS, APPLICANTS AND ALUMNI
The De La Salle Medical and Health Sciences Institute (DLSMHSI), is a full-complement medical and health allied institution that provides holistic, excellent, and premium health professional education, health care, and research services in a nurturing God-centered environment as it pursues its commitment to nurturing life.
DLSMHSI puts premium value to the privacy and security of information entrusted by its stakeholders for varied purposes. We aim to comply with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (DPA) and cooperate fully with the National Privacy Commission (NPC). We regard your privacy with utmost importance. DLSMHSI is committed also to meeting both your personal privacy, which is important to us, and ensuring that our genuine and legitimate interests as an educational institution and our ability to fully and effectively carry out our responsibilities as such are met.
We are presenting to you this PRIVACY NOTICE to describe how we use and disclose your information. In this Notice, the terms, “personal data” and “information” are used interchangeably. When we speak of “personal data”, the term includes the concepts of personal information, sensitive personal information, and privileged information. The first two are typically used to distinctively identify you. For their exact definitions, you may refer to the text of the DPA.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of an applicant or student (current or former) who is a minor (below 18 years old), understand that this Policy refers to the personal data of your child or ward, as the case may be.
What personal data do we collect from you? When and how do we collect them?
We collect your personal data that include those you provide us during your application for admission, information we acquire or generate upon enrolment and during the course of your stay with us.
- Information you provide us during your application for admission
Upon application for admission, we collect information about your personal circumstances and contact information such as – but not limited to – name, your email address, telephone number and other contact details, family history, previous schools attended, academic performance, disciplinary record, medical record, etc.
- Information we acquire or generate upon enrolment and during the course of your stay with us
Upon enrollment and during the course of your stay with us, we collect information on your academic or curricular undertakings, the classes you enroll in and scholastic performance, attendance record, medical record, etc. We shall also collect information for and in relation to co- curricular matters, such as outreach activities, as well as extra-curricular activities, such as membership in student organizations, leadership positions and participation and attendance in seminars, competitions and programs. We shall also collect information in connection with any disciplinary incident, including accompanying sanctions that you may be involved in.
Why do we collect personal data about you?
We use your information as permitted or required by law to pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution, including a variety of academic, administrative, historical, and statistical purposes.
Some examples of situations when we may use your information to pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution are as follows:
- evaluating applications for admission to DLSMHSI;
- processing confirmation of incoming students and transfer students in preparation for enrollment;
- recording, generating and maintaining student records of academic, co-curricular and extra- curricular progress;
- establishing and maintaining student information systems;
- sharing of grades between and among faculty members, and others with legitimate official need, for academic deliberations;
- processing scholarship applications, grants and other forms of assistance;
- investigating incidents that relate to student behavior and implementing disciplinary measures;
- maintaining directories and alumni records; compiling and generating reports for statistical and research purposes;
- providing services such as health, counseling, information technology, library, sports/recreation, transportation, safety and security;
- managing and controlling access to campus facilities and equipment;
- communicating official school announcements; sharing marketing and promotional materials regarding school-related functions, events, projects and activities;
- soliciting your participation in research and non-commercial surveys;
How do we secure your personal data?
We shall implement reasonable and appropriate organizational, physical, and technical security measures for the protection of personal data that we collected.
The security measures aim to maintain the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of personal data and are intended for the protection of personal data against any accidental or unlawful destruction, alteration, and disclosure, as well as against any other unlawful processing.
We only permit your data to be accessed or processed by our authorized personnel who hold such information under strict confidentiality. They are required to sign non-disclosure agreements and are have received training on the company’s privacy and security policies to ensure confidentiality and security of personal data. We restrict access to information to just anyone who like to know/obtain such information without justifiable ground.
Any data security incident or breach that comes to the knowledge of DLSMHSI shall be recorded and reported as required by law. DLSMHSI will take all necessary and reasonable steps to address such incident or breach and will mitigate any negative effect of such incident or breach. If there is strong suspicion that an incident affects your personal information, DLSMHSI shall notify you of such incident in an appropriate manner.
How long shall we keep your data?
After successfully completing your degree program at DLSMHSI and you are already an alumnus, your personal information remains private and confidential.
We shall retain your personal information over a period allowed by law or as may be applicable for historical and statistical purposes. Where a retention period is provided, all records after such period, shall be securely disposed of.
Do we share your personal data with other institutions or organizations?
To the extent permitted or required by law, we may also share, disclose, or transfer your personal data to other persons or organizations in order to uphold your interests and/or pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution. For example, we may share, disclose, or transfer your personal data for purposes such as:
- posting of class lists and class schedules in school bulletin boards or other places within the campus;
- sharing of information to persons, including parents, guardians or next of kin, as required by law or on a need-to-know basis as determined by the school to promote your best interests, or protect your health, safety and security, or that of others;
- providing academic institutions, companies, government agencies, private or public corporations, or the like, upon their request, with scholastic ranking information or certification of good moral character for purposes of admission
- sharing information to potential donors, funders or benefactors for purposes of scholarship, grants and other forms of assistance;
- distributing the list of graduates and awardees during commencement exercises;
- reporting and/or disclosing information to the government bodies or agencies (e.g., Commission on Higher Education, Department of Education or NPC);
- sharing information for accreditation and university ranking purposes (e.g. Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities and similar institutions)
- responding to inquiries verifying that you are a bona fide student or graduate of the school;
- conducting research or surveys for purposes of institutional development;
- sharing your directory information to the school’s Alumni Association;
- intend to use your personal information for purposes other than our legitimate interests
- publishing academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular achievements and success, including honors lists and names of awardees in school bulletin boards, website, social media sites and publications;
- sharing your academic accomplishments or honors and co-curricular or extracurricular achievements with schools you graduated from or were previously enrolled in, upon their request;
- marketing or advertising to promote the school, including its activities and events, through photos, videos, brochures, website posting, newspaper advertisements, physical and electronic bulletin boards, and other media;
- publishing communications with journalistic content, such as news information in DLSMHSI’s publications, social media sites and news and media organizations
What are your rights as a data subject?
As provided by the Act, you may object to the processing of your personal data, request to access your personal information, and/or have it corrected, erased, or blocked on reasonable grounds. For the details of your rights as a data subject, you can get in touch with our Data Protection Officer at contact details below or at National Privacy Commission at https://privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/#16. DLSMHSI shall consider your request and reserves the right to deal with the matter in accordance with the law.
How can you contact us?
For any, concerns, or questions regarding the collection and use of your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also contact or visit us at:
Data Privacy Office
Room 8109, Upper Ground Floor, Wang Building
De La Salle Medical and Health Sciences Institute
City of Dasmariñas, Cavite, Philippines
Landline : +(63-2)8988 3100; +(63-46)481 8000 local 1464