We, at the De La Salle University Medical Center (DLSUMC), are not only interested in your total well-being but we also respect your right to privacy and aim to comply with the requirements of all relevant privacy and data protection laws, particularly the Data Privacy Act of 2012.
We are presenting to you this PRIVACY NOTICE to describe how we use and disclose your information. This notice will apply to your personal data including your health information – whether written or electronic, generated by the hospital staff or by your attending physician.
DLSUMC, a division of De La Salle Medical and Health Sciences Institute (DLSMHSI), is committed to providing quality, holistic, and compassionate patient-centered medical care and services. It offers a wide array of multi-disciplinary medical services and facilities. You can click on this link: http://www.dlshsi.edu.ph/dlsumc/services-facilities for further details.
What personal data do we collect from you?
In the course of your treatment or visit at DLSUMC, our doctors, nurses, and other members of the healthcare team who are taking care of you may collect, record, update, modify, use, store and dispose your personal data and health information to ensure that you will be given the highest possible quality of patient care that you deserve. These personal data and health information may include the following:
- Basic personal data, such as but not limited to your name, age, date of birth, address, nationality, gender, religious affiliation, contact information, educational background;
- Relevant contact or personal information of your relatives, guardian, or next of kin;
- Major health complaint/s;
- medical information and medical history (such as, but not limited to, date of previous admission, existing illness, medication intake);
- Vital signs (such as blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiratory rate;
- Result of x-rays, scans, laboratory tests and other diagnostic procedures;
- Other information, which is necessary for your accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Our hospital is also equipped with CCTV cameras to help us ensure safety and security of the patients, the employees and the establishment.
How and when do we collect your data?
It is important that we collect accurate information on a timely manner about you in both electronic and paper-based forms, before implementing the healthcare services that you are availing. If you feel that some of the information being collected are not necessary, please feel free to ask any of our healthcare staff so that they can explain to you why the information are needed and are requested from you.
Why do we collect personal data about you?
The information that we gathered about you is primarily used for your medical treatment. When providing patient care and medical treatment, we collect your personal data to help us understand your current health status and to assist us in maintaining a record of your treatments and other services that you have received from our hospital. We maintain your medical record for efficient coordination between members of the healthcare team who are involved in the management of your health concern. This will also allow continuity of care in case you return to us for follow-up or other healthcare services. Aside from this, we may also utilize your personal data for:
- Reporting RequirementsInformation about certain diseases and other conditions may be reported to the Department of Health (DOH) or other agencies, as mandated and authorized by laws and regulations. Your health information may also be disclosed to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) as required by law.
- Admission and billing, and claims processingFor processing your hospital bill, your information may be used and disclosed to Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), social welfare agency, your insurance company, Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and employer to facilitate reimbursement of the hospital bill.
- Being the base hospital of the DLSMSHI, your medical information may be used for education, training and research.
- Being a tertiary accredited hospital by the DOH for specialty training in various medical specialties, your medical information may be used for clinical rounds, medical conferences and audits and for accreditation requirements by specialty certifying medical boards or government agencies.
- Quality improvements initiatives by the hospital to improve its services to the patients and other stakeholders including new services offerings and other marketing activities.
- Risk management studies
- Generation of statistical data relevant to the Hospital’s operations.
Rest assured that the processing of your personal data for the purposes as enumerated above are conducted within the provisions of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and appropriate consent will be requested from you whenever necessary.
How do we secure your personal data? How long will we keep your data?
Only authorized personnel have access to your personal information in our files. We have implemented technologies and policies with the objective of protecting your privacy from unauthorized access and improper use and will update these measures as new technology becomes available, as appropriate.
We have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the security of your information and to protect such information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We have set up adequate technical, physical, and organizational security measures to protect your data from unauthorized access and disclosure.
The Personal Data you provide will be retained by DLSUMC for a period of ten years, or as long as necessary for the purpose of maintaining your medical records and to comply with applicable laws, rules and regulations on retention of data.
Do we share your personal data with other institutions or organizations?
There are instances that we share your personal data with government agencies, which lawfully collects information. For instance, the Department of Health requires submission of relevant personal information of patients with certain non-communicable and/or communicable disease, injuries, etc., for purposes of disease surveillance and monitoring. Your personal data may be shared also with Philhealth and HMO companies in your behalf as necessary.
We may also share personal information to fulfill legal mandates like when ordered lawfully to do so by a court or a government agency or public authority.
In addition, we may also share personal information with our service providers, partners, affiliates, and related entities who provide products and services to the Hospital for the same purpose as explained above.
What are your rights as a data subject?
As provided by the Act, you may object to the processing of your personal data, request to access your personal information, and/or have it corrected, erased, or blocked on reasonable grounds. For the details of your rights as a data subject, you can get in touch with our Data Protection Officer at contact details below or at National Privacy Commission at https://privacy.gov.ph/data-privacy-act/#16. DLSMHSI will consider your request and reserves the right to deal with the matter in accordance with the law.
How can you contact us?
For any complaints, concerns, or questions regarding the collection and use of your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
You may also contact or visit us at:
Data Privacy Office
Room 8109, Upper Ground Floor, Wang Building
De La Salle Medical and Health Sciences Institute
City of Dasmariñas, Cavite, Philippines
Landline : +(63-2)8988 3100; +(63-46)481 8000 local 1464